Lab-0: Basic Networking Concepts
Since the lab setup has got little delayed, here are some questions to review basic networking concepts that you will need to know for future assignments. For those of you who have done a course in TCP/IP this should be trivial, but for those who saw TCP/IP for the first time in this course, this should certainly be useful. Answer all questions and drop it in the Digital Drop Box at MyPoly no later than midnight February 5 2002.
Due: February 5 2002
Here are some references for learning TCP/IP:
6. Also see MyPoly Web site for CS393 for more resources
Basic Network Concepts
- Describe the OSI Model and explain the purpose of layered design?
- In the class we went through a simple HTTP request/reply example. Please list type of addresses used in each layer and protocols used to resolve these addresses for layers below/above?
Internet Protocol (IP)
- Find the address class and range of hosts supported to each IP address below:
- Find which of the following IP addresses are valid:
- Identify which of the following IP address cannot be assigned to a host and explain why it is invalid or cannot be assigned:
- From subnet masks below find the number of hosts and subnet supported and explain your answer:
- Assume host A with IP 18.104.22.168 and subnet mask 255.255.224.0 wants to send a packet to host B with IP 22.214.171.124 using the same subnet mask. Find if host B is in the same subnet as host A and explain how host A determines if the destination is in its own subnet or not?
- What is the range of hosts and subnets supported by a class B network using subnet mask 255.255.224.0 List IP range (for example: x.y.32.1 to x.y.63.2) and the network ID for each subnet supported?
Transmission Control Protocol (TCP)
- What are the differences between services provided by IP and TCP?
- What is the purpose of checksum field in the TCP header?
- Why are the source and destination port numbers at the begining of the TCP header?
- What is Maximum Segment Size (MSS)?